Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Ruta Nocuturna 10k



Danika and I officially survived our first 10k together. For Danika it was her 3rd (she did a 5k on her birthday a few years ago, she ran in the Ragnar Relay, and now this 10k in Cuenca) while this was my first. I am learning that running is 80-85% mental and the rest is your physical ability.

Danika loved the whole run, while I on the other hand struggled for the first 3 or 4 kilometers. We were approaching a fairly steep, 200 meter climb when I suggested we walk it. Danika said try it and do your best. Then it clicked and my racing mentality kicked in and just to prove it to myself I almost sprinted the hill. From there on down the race was easier. Danika and I generally ran side by side, except for when having to split up to maneuver around other racers.

I was extremely grateful they had marked each kilometer with a large banner that hung over the street, this allowed us to track our progress and/or count how many we had left, depending on our level of fatigue. After a few minutes after passing the banner marking the 8th kilometer, I started looking for the next banner, which I had seen earlier that day when we drove by with the Roseros, that was nowhere to be seen. It was when I caught a glimpse of the finish line that I realized they either had taken it down or that it had fallen, either way I was a happy man. I sprinted to the end and crossed it as the race timer read 1:00:50, but seeing we were at the tail end of the 5,000 participants when the race started, we didn't cross the line for probably 3-5 minutes hoping to wait out the dense crowd. Fortunately we had been given chips that would clock our exact time. We haven't quite figured out where our times have been or will be posted but that's okay.

We enjoyed the thrill of a race and were more than happy to only ran the 10k (we're not quite as intense as you Em!)

Just recently added some pictures that Rodrigo took of us.



Tying to our fee the chips that would measure our time right from crossing the start line to the finish line.

Funny picture of us squinting before the race

So Lee isn't too tough to spot because he's a head taller than everyone else, but can you find Danika?

Nice and wet after the race.

Our personal cheer squad. As I was within 200 meters of the finish line I heard Sammy's (the Rosero's 17 year old daughter) distinguished screech of "LEEEEEEEEE!!!"

1 comment:

  1. okay. i need to get moving on working out. you guys are awesome

    ReplyDelete