Sunday, June 20, 2010

Tadeo is an orphanage our volunteers serve in daily.The morning shift is from 7am-12:30 and the afternoon shift is from 2pm-6:30pm. Last Tuesday I served at Tadeo in the afternoon while Lee stayed home to do office work and watch Uruguay play in the World Cup.

Those whom with I spoke (Mom and Dad) already know my first day at Tadeo was a VERY rough day and I was very discouraged. The children were mean to each other. A child smashed my head into the wall because he asked me to push him on the swing and I asked him to wait until I was done reading a book. I found children drinking out of a dirty gutter and received no help in stop them. I found 3 children playing in the laundry room -which is off limits- and one of them had climbed to the top of a ladder and was crying, not knowing how to get down.

Dinner was the worst. An older boy made another child give him all his food and I heard that this happens often. So I took his plate and put all the younger boy's food back on his plate. BIG mistake. The rest of the 3 older boys (including the boy I was trying to help get his food back) hit me with their butter knifes. When I grabbed their arms to stop them I was asked by a nun to not touch them, but to simply ask them not to hit me. I saw this same nun get hit and she just ignored it. The hard thing was that the other volunteers described the children's behavior as normal and seemed to just ignore it when they were treated badly.

As you can imagine I came home in tears, but committed with Lee to go back the next day.

I am so glad that I went back on Wednesday with Lee. These children rarely ever see men so thy were all drawn to Lee calling him "Papi". The three boys gave me stink eye all day, but never touched me. They played with Lee on the swings and had a great time. Although the children still misbehaved we enjoyed our time. We have been counseling with the Roseros about how to protect our volunteers and train them to stand up for themselves and earn/demand respect from the children.

Here is a picture of us outside the laundry room area on Wednesday. The children saw a cat run past and wanted to find it. As you can see we did not let them pass the gate in an attempt to begin establishing that the laundry area was off limits. This simple activity of watching the cat from a distance was so fun!



Slowly we encouraged the cat to come out to the playground. Here we are lined watching the cat.



The boy from dinner (whose food was taken Tuesday night) came to me at the end of the night and asked to if he could ride on my back. Healing began to take place.

4 comments:

  1. i love that you are keeping a detailed record of your time there. i hope that, in retrospect, you can see progress, each day a little easier and routine.
    i know that these are days you will treasure forever. what a fabulous experience to share with together. miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, we are so happy to hear from you and that you are safe. What an adventure you are already having. I hope that everything turns out wonderful and the discipline gets under control. Continue in faith! We love and miss you. It's definately different without you here. Miss and love you. Love Robbie, Dan and Grace. Grace wants to go upstairs and still see you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your time in South America all seemed so romantic to me until this big dose of reality therapy. I wish I could offer advice or profound wisdom, but all I can wonder is how potty training happens in group care. If potty training is my biggest concern, I see how sheltered my childcare world is. Thanks for helping us stay connected with you. Love you a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lee and Dani for your views of the world... especially the children. It is eye opening to see what you deal with daily. Obviously, much patience is required. But I do know that the children will be blessed by your presence, your caring and your love. And, you will never forget these experiences and they will bless your lives for decades to come.
    I can sense your excitement as you ride in with fast taxi drivers ... without seat belts! Priceless. Much love, Dad

    ReplyDelete