Sunday, June 20, 2010



Remar is an orphanage our volunteers visit once a week on Saturdays. One volunteer raised money to buy new shoes for all 55 children and this Saturday we went to help deliver them. Lee and I were asked to accompany the volunteers so that Lee could speak to the directors and help distribute the shoes in an orderly manner.
We were greeting with big hugs and requests to “amarcame” (pick me up). We would hold a child for a while and then put them down and pick up another one.
Eventually holding the child turned into swining the child.

While Lee and I were waiting to talk to the director, we stood holding hands when a little girl approached us and asked, "Son hermanos (are you siblings)?" When we told her we were married she became very excited and then asked, “tienen ninos(do you have children)?" We answered no and she smiled. That was when it dawned on me, what she was really asking was “have you come here to adopt one of us?” We were asked this same sequences of questions by another girl and hour later.




(we are having a hard time loading videos so we will edit this post later and update with video)



Video

The rest of the afternoon we jumped rope in the courtyard.

Video

pictures

2 comments:

  1. Lee and Danika, thank you for including me on your private blog so that I can follow all your adventures. I think this is so cool what you guys are doing and I'm excited to be along for the journey (somewhat) too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time, tell her you have 50 ninos and that she's already one of them.

    Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete